Friday, July 22, 2005

More Danger from Men than Wild Animals

The only time I ever really worried about the kids when we lived at the cabin was when other people where around. Namely my ex-husband's cousins. One was just a drunk, the other was missing a few marbles and the third was the one I mentioned previously, the crankster.
These guys would show up in the middle of night, bang on the door or drive right around the house. They would stay for days of course never brining enough food, cigarettes or gas to get home on.
One day the crankster was there with his guns out showing off for a new girlfriend. Because he was a tweeker as we like to call those who use meth, he was also paranoid. (meth does that to those who use it any length of time.)
This was in the time frame before Susie actually ate out of our hands, and during the time Jason was always trying to sneak up on her.
One afternoon Tweeker thought he heard something in the trees and saw a "man" supposedly behind those trees, and without even thinking was getting ready to fire his shotgun into the trees. I came running out of the cabin. "What the hell are you doing? Where are my kids at?" I yelled at him. He started telling me he saw someone in the trees, I asked him if he even thought about the fact I have four kids roaming around outside. Which of course he had not. I knew Jason had a tendency to sneak around up where Susie slept without his shoes on trying to catch her. I yelled for him and he was standing directly where Tweeker was going to shoot. He came walking out of the trees, and he was not happy because he was close to touching Suzie.
Had I not come running out of the house and asked where my kids where the idiot would have shot Jason. He apologized which meant absolutely nothing, since this kind of stupidity was common with him.
There were so many instances similar to this living there. And it was only when these guys were around that I worried about the kids. We had mountain lions, bears, snakes and other critters, yet I never really worried about the safety of the kids when it came to the wildlife, it was a totally different kind of "wildlife animals" I had to be concerned with. Those of the human kind.

1 comment:

Bstermyster said...

Good point grandma!