Tuesday, June 14, 2005

More on Suzie

One morning when I went outside to have my usual cup of coffee, Suzie was circling the Cabin. I was sitting there watching her and she stopped at this log a few yards away from me. She just stood there starring at me. A couple minutes later she walked over toward me, then turned and made her way back to the log. It stood me a few minutes to figure out she wanted to me come see what was over there.
I walked over to the log and there was this very large opossum, dead of course, laying on the log. She just stood there and looked at me, Suzie that is. She had killed the thing because it had come to close the cabin that night and she wanted me to see she had protected us. She didn't mangle it or anything, just killed it and laid it on the log for me to see.
The following morning she was doing the same thing, only THIS time I knew she was trying to show me something. It was another critter, this one I believe was the offspring of the opossum she got the evening before. It was considerably smaller. She again left it laying out for me to see. Usually after I had seen it it would disappear. Not too sure what she did with the bodies. Not sure I want to know!
She had these 'circles of protection" around the property. If anything came within the area she had designated "too close" to the cabin she would take care of it. I think at one time I counted three areas. One was within a few feet of the cabin, this was where she would circle if she heard yelling or angry voices within the cabin. The next circle was probably 50 feet outside the first, and then next area was even farther out. The last one would include the area around and beyond the creek.
I did learn a valuable lesson once concerning her jealousy it had to be jealousy because I know she didn't think we were in danger!
We had gotten the kids some baby chicks. I had them in a little cage and was going to put them in a big wooden box outside. As I was walking out with them, Suzie was coming towards me to see what I had. I showed her the baby chicks and told her, "see the new babies, you leave them alone, these are my babies." BIG mistake!
We put a heavy lid on top of the box the chicks were living in, until we could build a little coop for them. One by one, each morning there was another chick missing. Suzie was pushing the lid aside and taking a chick out every night. We started finding them buried, yes buried on the path down to the creek. She didn't eat them or mangle them, just killed and buried them, at least I hope she killed them first. It took her a total of 6 days to get rid of each one. We had six chicks, she would steal one a night. Guess she thought maybe I wouldn't know it was her if they disappeared one at a time!

1 comment:

Bstermyster said...

OMG, I totaly do not remember this, but this just shows you how smart animals are. Even though it is mean, it shows that they can think. Honestly, one a day? That is so crazy! I wish there where some pictures of her. That would be awesome.