Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Old Friends

It's funny how we kind of loose track of close friends as times goes by. Well not really loose track just don't commuicate with as often. Living at the Cabin was definitely no picnic at times and Omo Ranch, which is where the cabin was located was a very small community. You had the people who had lived there forever and those who had had enough of 'city life' and bought homes in Omo Ranch to get away from the hectic life of city living.
I was lucky enough to make friends with a woman who had lived there several years. Her name is Sue. They lived at the top of the hill going into Omo Ranch from the cabin, right next to the school. Yes we actually had an elementary school,if nothing else we did have a school!
Most people were not even aware there was a cabin up the road. There was a tree farm, of which you had to drive through to get down to the cabin. Most people never ventured off any of the dirt "roads" inside the farm. And if they did there was a large metal gate blocking the road down to us.
Sue had five children, I had four so this was something we had in common. Like myself she is a very down to earth person. They were who they were and lived how they lived and if you didn't approve that was your problem. There were certain people who had moved up to the community who were, how shall I put this, somewhat snobbish? Most had money and worked in the Bay Area (San Francisco). They built new houses with pellet stoves or central heat/air, septic systems and so on. Unlike those of us who relied on wood stoves or fireplaces, wells and actual septic tanks. Or like myself, other than the wood stove were completely uncivilized.
When school started I would usually stop at Sue's after dropping the kids off at school. We would visit and have coffee. Sarah and Sue's daughter Katie was best friends. I remember on morning in particular.
It was winter and as I have said before the road into the cabin was clay, there were plenty of ruts and holes in the road, some would go almost all the way across the road. When it rained a lot or we had a lot of melting snow these ruts would fill up with water. Clay being as it is, can be VERY slippery when wet.
There were certain spots in the road that looked like little ponds they were so deep and wide. So driving up the hill was at times an adventure. It could even by today's standards be considered an Extreme Sport as far as I am concerned.
This particular morning the road was really bad. There was one spot I was terrified to even attempt to get through, but the kids had to get to school and I was the one taking them. We got to this spot in the road and I stopped. Half praying and half debating whether or not this was worth the attempt. Jason and Sarah both said, "you can make it mom". So I hit the gas, held my breath and headed through the "lake". The little car we were in went slipping and sliding through the ruts I just kept my hands on the wheel and foot on the gas. We made it through with the Lord's help most definitely. Jason and Sarah both just went "Wow mom you actually did it. We didn't think you were going to."
By the time I got to the top of the hill I was literally shaking. I dropped the kids off and stopped at Sue's. I asked if it would be ok if I waited a little bit to head back down. She asked me if I was ok, since I was white as a sheet. I told her my adventure for the morning and expressed I needed to work up my nerve to drive back down the hill.
Needless to day she said of course and I sat and had coffee with her before braving the ride home. I use to say I could be a sprint car racer as I had the driving on wet clay experience whipped!
I talked to Sue this morning via email, which is what brought this memory up. She has since moved on to Ohio I think. I will have to ask her for sure. Anyway in one of the emails she told me I was in her prayers, what she said next made me laugh but also agree she said, "We survived Omo Ranch, we can survive anything." On that note I know no matter what life throws at me, We did indeed survive Omo Ranch anything else should be a piece of cake!

No comments: